Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Edward J. Jennings P.A Motto

How To Minimize Alimony In A Divorce


When divorcing in Florida, there’s one thing you need to worry about: alimony. The state is lenient when it comes to alimony, so it’s possible that you could be ordered to pay one type of alimony to your ex-spouse, especially if you were the breadwinner.

Alimony can be temporary or even be permanent. That’s a lot of money to be spending on an ex-spouse. How can you avoid this obligation?

Types of Alimony

First, let’s understand the main types of alimony:

  • When a marriage lasts longer than 17 years, the higher earner may be ordered to pay the other spouse for life.
  • The length of alimony cannot exceed the length of marriage. A marriage that lasted five years will result in five years of alimony.
  • This short-term alimony is meant to help a spouse receive training to return to the workforce.
  • Temporary alimony helps pay for court costs related to the divorce and ends once the divorce is finalized.

Negotiating Alimony

If you are considered to be the payee spouse because you earn a lot more than your spouse, you may be able to negotiate it. The longer you have been married, the more you have to pay. However, you may be able to pay less if you wait until after a trial date has been set. Ask your lawyer about negotiating.

Also, consider something in exchange for alimony. Your spouse will likely take more money or assets now rather than payments over a period of time. People are impatient and want things right away. Plus, there is no guarantee your spouse would get alimony for a specific period of time, as alimony ends when either party dies. If your spouse doesn’t earn a lot of money, they would likely be agreeable to a larger sum of money now.  This is how lump sum alimony works, and once you pay off your spouse, any future alimony would be waived, working in your favor.

If your income has reduced and/or your spouse’s income has increased, you could request to have your alimony payment modified.  Also, if you have reached age 65 and are ready to retire, you can bring your case to court and see if you can get rid of alimony for good. The same applies if you are disabled and unable to work.

Alimony also ends if the recipient spouse marries, what you may not know is that it could also end if he or she starts living with someone. If your ex-spouse is cohabitating with someone who is helping pay the bills, it’s obvious they no longer need your financial help. Petition the court to get your alimony payments eliminated.

Seek Legal Help

Nobody wants to keep giving money to an ex-spouse. If you don’t want to pay alimony, then there are some ways you can lessen the burden.

If you are opposing alimony, Fort Lauderdale alimony lawyer Edward J. Jennings, P.A. can help you with the process. To learn more, schedule a consultation today. Call 954-764-4330 or fill out the online form.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

The first step in solving your legal problem is to meet with a skilled, experienced lawyer in a confidential setting to discuss your matter. After getting to know you and your unique situation, your attorney can explain your options and guide you toward the best path to resolution. Whether you need general advice or are in the midst of a serious legal dispute, the law office of Edward J. Jennings, P.A. is here for you. Are you contemplating litigation, or have you recently been served with a lawsuit? Fill out the form below to schedule a consultation with an attorney at our firm.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation